The covered bridges of New England are an iconic staple of scenic beauty. Originally erected in the 1800’s these landmarks represent a piece of local history and a by gone era. New Hampshire is home to 54 covered bridges, including these nearby favorites.
Also known as the Honeymoon Bridge, Covered Bridge No. 51, spans the Ellis River in Jackson. Built in 1873, the wooden bridge takes its name from the long tradition of couples kissing under it for good luck.
Located on the Kancamamagus Highway in the White Mountains National Forest, the Albany Bridge lies above the Swift River. Designed with Paddleford truss and added arches, the bridge was constructed in 1858 at a cost of $1,300. The first bridge in this location was erected in 1857, but was destroyed by a windstorm only a year later.
The Albany Bridge is open for vehicles throughout the summer and fall and foot traffic is welcome during the winter months.
Lying west of Route 302 on the Saco River near Bartlett Village, the Bartlett Bridge is owned by the Frydman family. One of the few privately owned bridges in the state, the structure was built in 1851 before being closed for traffic and abandoned in 1939. The bridge has served as more than a means for crossing the Saco River. After being rebuilt, the bridge was used to store snow fences in the 1950’s before being sold to a private individual in 1966. The bridge then became home to a gift and antique shop.
A 1990 renovation removed decking, strengthened arches and replaced cracked members, decreasing the weight of the bridge by 25 tons. The bridge is now open to pedestrian traffic.
Swift River Bridge
The original Swift River Covered Bridge in Conway was built in 1850 by John Douglass. Using West Side Road, the bridge provided access to the north until the spring of 1869 when flooding caused the bridge to be lifted from its foundation, sending the bridge floating downstream where it knocked the Saco River Covered Bridge from its moorings. Salvaging much of the lumber from the original bridges, the Swift River Bridge was rebuilt by Jacob Berry and son.
Swift River Bridge remained in use until 1974 when a concrete and steel bridge was erected. The structure remains open today for sightseers and foot traffic.
Saco River Bridge
Spanning the Saco River, the bridge has been constructed 4 times in the same site. The original log structure collapsed and was rebuilt for $4,000 in 1950 where it stood until the Swift River Bridge crashed into it almost 20 years later. The next bridge served the area until 1890 when it was again destroyed by a tannery fire. The current one lane bridge was erected by Charles and Frank Broughton and remains open to motorists today.
Enjoy these covered bridges located just a short drive away on your next visit to our North Conway inn.